I think it is a version bug of some sort - when I ran the same mask creation run in CCP4i on my MacBook laptop (which has the most recent CCP4) it displays fine and also worked perfectly in dm averaging, turning a tangled mess into interpretable density.

The mask generated by NCSMASK on my desktop Mac displayed weirdly in COOT on that machine, and crashed COOT on the laptop as soon as I treid to display it.

Anyway the job is done - thanks for the advice.

Laurence

Daniel Anderson wrote:
Could it be that NCSMASK folded the mask back into an asymmetric unit?
My NCSMASK input file contains explicit xyzlim boundaries and "notrim" keyword.