Hi Alexei,

at this resolution you most likely need to refine isotropic group B (one B per residue or so) or/and do TLS refinement (on top of it).

Cheers,
Pavel.

---
Pavel V. Afonine, Ph.D.
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley CA, USA (http://www.lbl.gov/)
CCI: Computational Crystallography Initiative (http://cci.lbl.gov/)
PHENIX (http://phenix-online.org/)

On 3/26/2008 10:49 AM, Alexei Datsuk wrote:
Hi,

I have a question with B-factor and TLS refinement. My protein diffracts only to modest/low resolutions (3.4 A). I've been refining isotropic B-factors for main chain and side chain (not individual atoms) because I'm worried at this resolution I don't have enough observations to justify individual B-factor refinement. First question: Is this a good assumption on my part, or should I try refining individual B-factors and look at how R/Rfree behaves? I just don't want to be over-refining my structure.

Second question: Can I do TLS refinement at low resolution when B-factors are only refined for main chain and side chain? I would imagine that I need to be refining individual B-factors. Third question: Is it justified for me to be doing TLS refinement at these resolutions?

Thanks

Alexei