Hi Qiang,

A normal data set has a unimodal intensity distribution with a predictable shape. When there is twinning the distribution remains unimodal but becomes sharper and this is picked up in the twinning analysis. When there is pseudo-translational symmetry, as you indicate you have, then the intensity distribution becomes bimodal with one set of reflections systematically strengthened and another systematically weakened. This makes the whole distribution broader, just the opposite of what twinning does, and therefore shows up as "negative twinning" in the analysis.

Bart

Qiang Chen wrote:
Hi all,

The data I am working on has a strong translation vector. The space group
is C2221 and resolution is 2.3 angstrom. There are two molecules per AU
with a pseudo-2-fold axis.
On the cumulative intensity distribution plot, the theor and obser curves
totally do not overlap. I did "detect_twinning" from CNS, and there is the
result:

  <|I|^2>/(<|I|>)^2  = 3.2236 (2.0   for untwinned, 1.5   for twinned)
  (<|F|>)^2/<|F|^2>  = 0.6937 (0.785 for untwinned, 0.865 for twinned)
Does the result mean my data is not twinned?

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Thank you!

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

Bart Hazes (Assistant Professor)
Dept. of Medical Microbiology & Immunology
University of Alberta
1-15 Medical Sciences Building
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada, T6G 2H7