On 24 Apr 2008, at 3:38 PM, Ronnie Berntsson wrote:

I've got a rather weird problem when trying to run arp/warp. When trying to run arp/warp (latest version 7.0.1) it complains that I should install a newer version of Refmac (5.4.0045). The version of Refmac I have installed is 5.4.0066, and thats what is being used if I run Refmac both from terminal or via CCP4i. However, when arp/warp starts to run it magically finds a refmac 5.2.something and uses that. Reinstalling arp/warp did not help, even though the install script showed that I had refmac 5.4.0066 installed... I'm running OS X 10.5.2 and have installed ccp4 and refmac via fink. All other CCP4 programs work fine and Refmac runs normally as well, it's only when it's called from arp/warp that something goes wrong.. All ideas to fix this problem are most welcome.

This is an interesting feature of the Fink CCP4/Refmac installation. When you install the new refmac in Fink, you get an executable called refmac-5.4, which lives in /sw/share/xtal/ccp4-6.0.2/bin. The refmac5 that you get from the terminal lives in /sw/bin and is a symbolic link to this executable. However, in /sw/share/xtal/ccp4-6.0.2/bin there still lurks an executable refmac5, and this is version 5.2.0019. When you run ARP/wARP from the GUI, it seems that this is the executable that it uses - hence the version warnings. In our experience, this also breaks flex-wARP when run through the GUI.

Whether this is just a symptom of the way I use Fink to install things, or whether it's a problem for everyone, I don't know. I have a solution to this, although it may not be the most elegant one. I move the old refmac5 out of the way, and create a new symbolic link

mv /sw/share/xtal/ccp4-6.0.2/bin/refmac5 /sw/share/xtal/ ccp4-6.0.2/bin/refmac5.old ln -s /sw/share/xtal/ccp4-6.0.2/bin/refmac-5.4 /sw/share/xtal/ ccp4-6.0.2/bin/refmac5

(This is from memory, so the details may not be correct.)

Hope this helps,

Chris

The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a charitable Company
Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No. 534147 with its
Registered Office at 123 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RP.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the
message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your
computer and network.