Dear Diana,

I have adopted this method, and for the reasons your users suggest, here at
Manchester and do not observe any clogging of the nano probe due to
evaporation. The computer interface does complain that there is no protein
solution aspirated after the initial run but this is not a 'fatal' error and
the modified protocol runs.
On the other hand, the transfer losses on a simple protocol will be small (you
could easily and quickly check this by careful weighing), in the order of a few
microlitre and the user has to remember to correctly modify the protocol after
the initial run and at the end of the run. Precious protein may be lost by
mistakes here. My only other observation is that the nano purge is quite
violent and may introduce bubbles or a foamy layer in the protein sample.

Regards,

Pat Bryant

Dr Pat Bryant
Senior Experimental Officer
Macromolecular Crystallography Core Facility
Faculty of Life Sciences
Michael Smith Building
The University of Manchester
Oxford Road