On 15 May, William Scott wrote:
> Actually, if you want to feel really good, I learned (in the context
> of optics) that you can resolve two points separated by a distance x
> with a diffraction limit of x/0.7, so this means you can start to see
> carbon - carbon atomicity at 2.2 Å.

This is correct, 2.1 to 2.4 angstroms, and it is the resolution at which
the density begins to have a small degree of sphericity, although poor.
The sphericity is definitely detectable and sometimes very visible at 2
angstroms which is closer to the determination point of what might be
called the atomic pseudo-radius.  The atomic position is well determined
within this constraint.  This is the meaning of over-determined, and
possibly a good lower boundary of high resolution atomic structure.

A key word here is sphericity, not spherical.  Truly spherical density
requires better resolution than 2 angstroms, but at the lower limit of
over-determination, the density begins to approach the spherical, or a
rounded balls and sticks cartoon if you like.  High resolution would be
that level where the actual atomic positions _begin_ to be apparent as
the density begins to approach the spherical.  It is over-determined
because the atomic coordinate is constrained by the data to be
roughly centered within the radius of the theoretical sphere that the
density is approaching.

Beyond this level of resolution, the density begins to loose sphericity
again and enter the realm of ultra-high resolution.  The density begins
to resolve orbitals.  It is a remarkable thing to see.  I don't have
the exact numbers for distinguishing high versus ultra-high resolution,
but this should be specified as well.  There is also atomic anisotropy
to deal with at better than 2 angstroms resolution, so it is a good
thing to get these numbers nailed down with the proper terminology.

Regards,
Michael L. Love Ph.D
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry
School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University
725 N. Wolfe Street
Room 608B WBSB