I don't think the term "high resolution" has any real definition or meaning anymore. If you're proud of the resolution, put the number in the title of the paper and let the reader decide. At one time 2 A was high resolution, but I wouldn't consider that high resolution today for a plain vanilla protein structure.

The optical resolution is ~ 0.7 x the spacing at which the diffraction is cut off as a best possible case - SFCHECK gives an estimate of the optical resolution. Since hydrogen atoms are not really visible, even at very high resolution, I'd call atomic resolution that resolution at which atoms in C=O bonds are resolved or ~ 1.2 A.

I used to think using atomic resolution as a descriptor was safe (I think the shelx and acorn documentation uses 1.2 A in this definition) until I attended a seminar entitled "Atomic resolution structure of (some membrane protein - I don't remember which one) and found it to be a solid state NMR study where they could figure out the direction in which a helix was running (and could therefore build a helix.)

Sue