But for some crystals flash-cooling is better at temperatures higher than in the 77 K to 100 K regime for unknown reasons. This can be one reason why flash-cooling in the gas stream occassionally is better. It is also why liquid propane worked for Raji E. and Karolin L.: they were using a temperature above the freezing point of propane.

Hi Jim,

could the reason for this be cold annealing ? You have an imperfect crystal lattice which thanks to the slow cooling can adjust it's lattice slightly to yield better diffracting crystals ? In my simple mind this is how I imagine flash annealing procedures.

Juergen

--
Jürgen Bosch
University of Washington