Dear Phil,

One reason has been simplicity - many ARP/wARP modules operate with space group number only. For space group 18 this would mean P21212. Using space group name might be less robust - I remember some compatibility problems when CCP4 introduced spaces into space group names, this broke some of the parsers, including simple-minded ones from ARP/wARP.

If there is, however, a strong wish for ARP/wARP to support 'unconventionally' indexed space groups - then we will certainly try to introduce it.

With best regards,
Victor

PhilEvans wrote:
Is there a reason why Arp/warp doesn't like space group P 21 2 21?

Phil