I should expand a bit: on this BB last year Ian Tickle pointed out that the IUCr "standard" for primitive orthorhombic space groups is to have a <= b <= c, irrespective of which axes are 2s or 2(1)s. Thus eg space group 18 in its "standard" setting may be P 2 21 21, P 21 2 21 or P21 21 2: the last of these is the "reference" setting.

Similarly , space group C2 should be reindexed as I2 if this gives a smaller beta angle. Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve has recently pointed this out to me as well.

I have changed Pointless (from version 1.2.12) to follow this convention, though it is a user-settable option to use the reference setting. It does seem sensible to follow the standard convention.

If you are picking up the space group from an MTZ file, it is unambiguous, similarly from the space group name in a PDB file. I think Arp/warp should allow whatever setting is in the input file.

Phil