Direct hydrogen bonds between sidechains are obviously important to structural stability in proteins. From time to time I see cases of water-mediated bonds in which a single water molecule seems to play an important role (sometimes taking the place of a missing ligand atom in an apo structure, for example). But what about larger chains and networks of water? Assuming a structure is high enough in resolution and well-ordered enough to observe such things, has anyone systematically studied the structural importance of multiple water interactions (I do know of a paper by Faerman and Karplus back in 94, but perhaps there is more recent work).

Has anyone here ever seen a plausible argument that a chain of several hydrogen-bonded waters enables residue A to interact with residue B, some considerable distance away?

I have to say, I am skeptical of arguments based on water positions.

Thanks

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS