Mark,

A little more information on the protein and need would be nice. Is it a large peptide, a small protein, or a recombinant protein? Do you want real quantitative results or semi quantitative (like BCA, Bradford, or Lowry which can be off by 20% or more relative to the [BSA])? Do you want it to be rapid assay? Is it to measure the protein concentration of a "pure" sample or to follow a purification? Do you want it to be non-invasive (like the A280 measurement) or how much protein are you willing to waste?

Some thoughts for a pure sample:

1) If you denature a sample, and label the lysines and N-terminus with a fluorophore (e.g., fluoroscein), you can unambiguously measure the absorption or fluouresence emission. But that a longish procedure and you lose your protein. If you have Cys residues, labeling those with DTNB or mercurichrome can allow you to do the same thing. You just need to ensure all labeling sites are accessible.

2) Many people who recombinantly express a protein without Trp residues have mutated a Phe or Tyr residue to Trp. Thus, the protein has a built-in means to measure protein concentration by Trp absorption or fluorescence.

3) If you have protein to waste or it survives being lyophilized, dialyze it into ammonium acetate, lyophilize it, then weigh it on a microbalance.

Measuring protein concentration is not an exact science if you want it to be rapid and not waste lots of your precious protein sample.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]