-----Original Message-----

From:  "Smith, Clyde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subj:  Re: [ccp4bb] foam dewar usage ?
Date:  Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:26
Size:  2K
To:  CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

I concur with Thomas' comments ... it all depends upon their intended use.  We
have used it extensively here at SSRL and have shaped three different large (4+
litre capacity) dewars for crystal mounting into the SSRL puck and for loading
and unloading Uni-pucks in an adapter cassette for use with the SAM robot
system.  **Warning, advertising**  To new users of SSRL we "give" you one of
the big dewars and a full kit of hardware for the robot (incluing a cassette)
... so if you want to try it out, become an SSRL user (that's the advertising
part over with!).

Anyway, for these purposes the foam works wonderfully.  There is definitely
only minimal icing and it is possible to fill an entire 96 port cassette
without having to change nitrogen ... it's even better if you do this in a fume
hood so that the water vapour which condenses on top of the nitrogen is
continually drawn off and doesn't get a chance to settle (thanks to Eddie Snell
for that little idea ... but this is another story).

However for freezing crystals, I still prefer the small open glass vacuum
dewars because, as some noted, you can see what is going on much easier ...
although you do get considerable icing unless (again per Eddie Snell) you do it
in a fume hood.  I have used a small foam dewar for this in the past and I have
to say icing is not a problem and I din't need to change the N2, just top it up
occassionally.

If they really do cost $160, your best bet might be to email your friendly
local synchrotron group and ask if they will make you something at a fraction
of the price ...

Clyde

---------------------
Clyde A. Smith, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist
Stanford University
Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lab, MS 99
2575 Sand Hill Rd
Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA

ph   (650)926-8544
fax  (650)926-3292