We had success substituting an Arg to Met.

It might seem counterintuitive (basic -> hydrophobic), but the underlying reason was that this Arg was involved in DNA-binding and the mutant was designed to effectively clip off the guanidino group while leaving the rest of the sidechain intact.

It appeared to work well and in the process added a Met to our sequence which helped MAD phasing once we got crystals.

Cheers,
Charlie

amit sharma wrote:
Dear All,

I have a 9-kDa protein that crystallizes well. Since there is no structural homologue for this molecule, I intend to make Se-Met derivative of the protein. The molecule has no Met/Cys residues in its sequence. I wanted to know where in the sequence should I mutate, so that the folding/crystallizability of the protein is not compromised.

Any suggestions would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,
--
Amit Sharma, Ph.D. Research Associate, Department of Biology,
University of York, YO10 5DD UK

--
Charlie Bond
Professorial Fellow