To add to Garibs answer - it is a good idea if your data set is pretty complete - but can enhance model bias if it is not .
Eleanor

Garib Murshudov wrote:

On 18 Mar 2009, at 01:47, Bernhard Rupp wrote:

I mean *absent* reflections here with fobs=0
----------------------------
Dear All,

during processing some mtz files I noted that some programs complete
the reflection list by padding missing reflections.

a) for Refmac (which did not pad reflections automatically) I read that
1)      for 2mFo-DFc:  Fwt = DFc in case Fo=absent
2)      for  mfo-fc :       Fwt=0 for Fo=absent

It is true. Although there are other options (i.e. ignore them). Many tests showed that recovering missing reflections this way (i.e. replacing them with their approximately expected values) give better maps that not using them at all.

b) how does PHENIX/refine handle the fobs = absent reflections in either case?

c) Prime and switch maps also have padded reflections, but here I am at a loss, because the maps seem to acquire very high positive density - i.e. the distribution seems atypical when read into say Xtalview. Might be a result of the density modification
            procedure? Can I get the observed reflections only from P&S?

Could the program authors kindly shed some light or references on the treatment of absent reflections in their respective programs? In most cases, the padded reflections have not much effect, as expected from their weights.

Thx, br

Bernhard Rupp
001 (925) 209-7429
+43 (676) 571-0536