From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Jacob
Keller
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:43 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Crystal vacuum cleaner

Dear Crystallographers,

Has anybody ever heard of mounting crystals in tiny crystal-sized
capillaries, such as are pulled by patch-pipet machines, or those used in
microfluidics? The material could be either glass or plastic, and one could
have some method of continuous positive or negative pressure, perhaps
through a hole in the crystal cap. Anyway, once safely inside the tiny
capilary, one could freeze it at leisure, without concern for evaporation.
It would really make harvesting easy--just vacuum up the crystal, then plop
in LiqN2/propane as per usual. I guess it could also really be done with
appropriate modification of a micro-manipulator.

Jacob

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program