The conditions in the drop play a huge role in the success of iodination.
If you see iodinated histidines, this means that you had high pH - higher
than 8 at least, as histidines are much harder to iodinate than tyrosines
(which will work even at pH 5, and definitely at 6).

Paul's classic experiment is very nice :) If you're into even more classic
experiments, check out:

INACTIVATION OF PEPSIN BY IODINE AND THE ISOLATION OF DIIODO-TYROSINE FROM
IODINATED PEPSIN
ROGER M. HERRIOTT, 1936

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=2141501&blobtype=pdf

The heavily modified method that I will be posting shortly does not
involve adding iodine directly to the crystals, which is its sole (but I
think significant) benefit :)

Artem