Hi.

Does anyone have experience using solutions containing manganese as
crystallization buffers (buffers, not screening well solutions)?  The
protein that I am working requires manganese for activity, and I have read
reports of related proteins crystallizing in manganese buffers.  I made a
buffer containing 3 mM manganese, that initially had a black color then
turned to deep purple, and later almost clear.  After a few weeks, the
buffer turned an orange color and contains dark manganese syrup on the
bottom.  Does anyone know how to prepare a manganese buffer that is stable
enough to be used as a protein buffer for crystallization screens?

Thanks,
Matt