To: "Jacob Keller" <j-kell...@md.northwestern.edu>; <CCP4BB@jiscmail.ac.uk>
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Reason for Neglected X-ray Fluorescence

On Friday 24 April 2009 11:28:16 Jacob Keller wrote:
Dear Dr. Holton and CCP4BBers,

Are you saying that a resonant event is always accompanied by a fluorescence event? If that were true, wouldn't the resonant event end up manifesting as
*negative* scattering component from the resonant atom, due to the
elimination of an otherwise-scattered photon, this making the resonant atom
"darker" than would be expected?

Yes.
That is why the real component of the scattering factor, f', is negative.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center