On 13 Jun 2009, at 00:12, Edward A. Berry wrote:

That seems likely. I also can't reach the BMCD link, but I can reach the same host on port 80. I understand my institution has a very restrictive
firewall <...>

My apologies for wandering off topic, but this is an irrational obsession of mine.

Can people setting up web sites, web tools, and databases please *not* use anything other than port 80 (or 443 for https) for their site. In my limited experience, the benefits of running it on another port are vanishingly small. The only noticeable effect is that you reduce the number of potential users.

Many scientists are stuck behind very tight firewalls, and this will only get worse as organisations become more and more paranoid about leaks of patient data and intellectual property. In the UK the situation isn't helped by the government's inability to keep personal data private; publicly funded bodies are desperate to avoid the media attention that would follow such a leak. Whether it's rational or not, in most cases this security policy is non-negotiable.

If it's not on a standard port, I can't see it (unless I go home or to a coffee shop with WiFi).

Chris
--
Dr Chris Richardson :: sysadmin :: Structural Biology :: icr.ac.uk

The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a charitable Company
Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No. 534147 with its
Registered Office at 123 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RP.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the
message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your
computer and network.