  From: George DeTitta
  To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:11 PM
  Subject: [ccp4bb] Phantom Crystals

  I'd appreciate it if people could tell me their experiences with what I would
call "phantom crystals", or "ghost crystals".  These are objects that display
the seeming morphology of crystals (clear facets, sharp edges) but do not
diffract X-rays AT ALL.  I would not count objects that diffract to 30 A in
this category.  I mean objects that don't show a single Bragg spot.

  George T. DeTitta, Ph.D.

  Principal Research Scientist

  Hauptman-Woodward Institute

  Professor and Chairman

  Department of Structural Biology

  SUNY at Buffalo

  700 Ellicott Street Buffalo NY 14203-1102 USA

  (716) 898-8600 (voice)

  (716) 898-8660 (fax)

  www.hwi.buffalo.edu