A few more examples of what Daniel refers to can be seen in Figure 11 - Nature
Protocols 4:706-731, 2009.  We encounter them from time to time using the in
meso (lipidic cubic phase) method.  With experience you get to recognize them
for what they are.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Daniel
Picot
Sent: 18 June 2009 08:21
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Phantom Crystals

The object that approaches the most a ghost to my mind is a picture of
a bubble trapped into a lipidic cubic phase of the detergent
beta-octyl-glucoside, it can be found in the article  from P. Sakya,
J.M. Seddon & R. Templer (1994) J.Phys II France 4:1311. I got also
crystals of membrane protein (i.e. not bubble) in the same detergent
that exhibited the same faceted cubic habits, they often disappeared
quickly (a few days) and were to soft to be manipulated.
Daniel