Dear Jacob,
these are the hallmark signs for a bacteriophage infection.  I'm afraid
you'll have lots of bleaching / baking of glassware to do...
Once you have them in the lab, they're very hard to get rid of.   You can
test one of your previous constructs that didn't lyse the cells;  if these
now do: you definitely have phages.

Cheers

Filip Van Petegem

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Jacob Keller
<j-kell...@md.northwestern.edu>wrote:

> Dear crystallographers,
>
> I recently expressed some new constructs, and found after my usual
> expression protocol that the cell pellets were not compacted at the bottom
> corner of the bottles us usual, but were instead smeared as a film on the
> side, and further, were somewhat clumpy, like clots, and with a smaller
> pellet in the usual location. The centrifugation was exactly as usual. I
> noticed that there was also a bit more foam in the medium than usual, but I
> am not convinced that this was the issue, although it might be a symptom. My
> suspicion is that the constructs are lethal and cause cell lysis, but I am
> not sure. Has anybody seen this phenomenon before, and gotten to the bottom
> of it?
>
> Jacob Keller

> Jacob Pearson Keller
> Northwestern University
> Medical Scientist Training Program
> Dallos Laboratory
> F. Searle 1-240
> 2240 Campus Drive
> Evanston IL 60208
> lab: 847.491.2438
> cel: 773.608.9185
> email: j-kell...@northwestern.edu

Filip Van Petegem, PhD
Assistant Professor
The University of British Columbia
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
2350 Health Sciences Mall - Rm 2.356
Vancouver, V6T 1Z3

phone: +1 604 827 4267
email: filip.vanpete...@gmail.com