Jacob
Before you spend you holiday weekend "dephaging" the lab and picking up on a
comment from Artem and yourself, your protein could indeed be toxic to the
cells. You do state in your email that the your are working with new
constructs. What happens with your old constructs ? I've been unfortunate
enought to work with a few toxic proteins in my time one of them being the
notoroious bax protein (I hope your not working with this) that upon
induction kills the bacterial cells (you get a flatline OD600nm). In fact if
this protein is made in pLysS there is enough cell leakage that the lysozyme
is released which then goes on to lyse other cells in the culture resulting
in a lower OD then when you started induction and some very ugly looking
pellets like you describe.
  If your protein is toxic to the cells you should be able to reach an OD600
of 0.6, likely more slowly than with a happy culture, and then when you
induce with IPTG tracking the OD will tell you a lot. If it is seriously
toxic, as in the case with bax, you can leave the cells to grow to a high OD
without induction and work with the peanuts you'll get from the leaky
expression off of the T7 promoter.

Stephen