Sorry, still need help with this well-trodden territory:

We're badly in need of a new linux PC with stereo and I'm
confused about graphics cards.
We want to recycle the CRT monitor, NuVision emitter and
glasses from an old increasingly unstable machine.

This chart: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html
combined with the CCP4 wiki's advice (that the card should say
"stereo" under display connectors) imply that we need to spend
at least $760 on the video card alone.

Is that really true???  EEK!!

   thanks, Phoebe