James,

Graeme is right. While <I> does indeed (approximately) follow a Gaussian, <|I-<I>|> cannot. The absolute value operator keeps it positive (reflects the negative across the origin), and hence it is a half Gaussian. Its mean cannot be zero unless the variance is zero. For standard normals (variance = 1), the mean of <|I-<I>|> is 0.798, just as Graeme said. You can do the integration. So, the fact that <| I-<I>|>/<I> is unstable at low I/sigma is *not* a consequence of the peculiar divergent properties of a Cauchy (Lorentzian). Rather, it's a consequence of E(I) being zero. And, like your calculator knows, division by zero is undefined (or infinite, depending on your proclivities).

Cheers,

Douglas