Use the scan.

And yes, don't fry your crystal doing it. The best way to do this is put the fluorescence detector as close to the sample as you can and then optimize the count rate by attenuating the beam. However, some beamlines are set up to hit your crystal with full beam and then back off the fluorescence detector to the other side of the room where it can bask in the warm sunny glow of your precious crystal. On beamlines like this, you must use a sacrificial crystal to do your absorption scan. Obviously, I am not a fan of the latter method, but it really does depend on what beamline you are going to use. Ask your beamline scientist about this!

Note: technically, a "MAD scan" is not a fluorescence scan, it is an absorption scan. You are measuring absorption and using fluorescence as a tally. A fluorescence scan would have the fluorescent photon energy on the x-axis.

Unfortunately, methods of doing absorption scans are not the only thing that differs from beamline to beamline and wavelength calibration is notoriously difficult to do with an accuracy of five decimal places (1 eV in 12 keV). Personally, I calibrate on copper metal, since it is very stable and well understood, and the absolute Bragg angle I see from silicon powder gives me a consistent wavelength. Some beamlines calibrate on SeMet, but the problem with SeMet is that the actual energy of the "edge" is NOT the canonical "Se edge" found in the literature (it is about 1 eV higher). SeMet is also relatively toxic, expensive and tends to oxidize, shifting the peak. Probably the best example of the shifting edge of Se I know of is figure 1 in Sarret et. al. (2005) Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 71(5), 2331–2337. This paper contains spectra for nine Se-containing reference compound, a substantial fraction of the total that are known.

Because of all this, I have been pushing the use of dandruff shampoo as an internationally recognized, inexpensive and particularly rad-hard selenium reference. Selsun Blue(R) (and the "extra strength" variety of Head & Shoulders(R)) is 1% selenium sulfide, and gives a nice clear spectrum with a sharp white line. What remains is to calibrate this stuff against some NIST-traceable Standard Reference Material.

So, my advice is to ask your beamline scientist, and don't forget to pack shampoo.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

Jerry McCully wrote:
Dear All:

Next week we are going to try some seleno-Met labeled crystals.

We checked the literature to try to find out the peak wavelength that has been used for SAD or MAD data collection. But they are slightly different ( may be 50 ev) in different papers.

I guess this is due to the discrepancy between the fluorescence scanning and the theoretical vaules of f' and f''.

When we collect the data, which wavelength should we use? Should we trust the scanning results?

Thanks a lot for your comments.

All the best,

Jerry McCully

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how. <http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_QuickAdd_062009>