Ian Tickle has just written a definitive answer to your first
question, so I will just comment on questions 2 and 3.

SHELXD divides the occupancies by the occupancy of the first atom in
the peaklist, so they should not be greater than 1.0. I was not able
to find an example of an occupancy greater than 1.0 in a PDB file
from SHELXD. Assuming that you are using the current version
of SHELXD (2006/3) I would appreciate receiving more details. If you
are using SHELXE for phasing only the RELATIVE occupancies are used
anyway.

Some useful statistics are printed out by SHELXC when it prepares
the files for SHELXD and SHELXE. If you would like to display these
nicely in graphical form you can use Thomas Schneider's hkl2map GUI
to call SHELXC/D/E (strongly recommended anyway).

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,