I had thought that "dispersion" might be an allusion to "dispersive
differences" which occur between corresponding amplitudes collected at
different wavelengths due to differences in anomalous scattering. I had
explained to myself, albeit imperfectly, the apparent terminological
inconsistency between the acronyms "MAD" and "SIRAS" by assuming that since the
latter had no dispersive differences, therefore "SIRAD" would not be
appropriate. But then again, ahem, "SAD?"

More consistent might be:

MAD/SAD ==> MIRAD/SIRAD

MAS/SAS ==> MIRAS/SIRAS

I think the real explanation is that the acronyms are inconsistent due to
history and personal preferences (based on ?). Anyway, not an important battle,
I don't think.

Jacob

PS: Is there a difference in terminology between phasing using SIR plus MAD
versus SIR plus SAD? Are both called "SIRAS?"

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
Dallos Laboratory