This is posted on behalf of Dr. Fiona Marshall at Heptares. The Heptares web site for applications is:
 http://home.btconnect.com/heptares/vacancies.html

Please respond using the web site or the Email address below, not to me.

Andrew Leslie

Structural Biologist/Crystallographer

Heptares is a new drug discovery company located in Hertfordshire UK, working on G protein coupled receptors across a range of therapeutic areas. We are using a unique structure based approach, which originated from work at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge, to characterise this important family of receptors and develop novel innovative therapeutics for the treatment of disease.

We have recently established a state of the art laboratory for membrane protein crystallography. We are now seeking an enthusiastic and motivated scientist with experience in protein crystallisation and structure determination to assist Heptares in obtaining novel GPCRs structures and ligand co-structures for drug discovery. This is an exceptional opportunity to participate in cutting edge science whilst helping to grow an industry-leading drug discovery company.

The successful candidate will work closely with the protein engineering and expression team responsible for the generation of pure stabilised GPCRs. In addition the role will include close collaboration with medicinal and computational chemists involved in structure based drug design

It is expected that some candidates will have broad experience of protein purification through to structure whilst others may wish to focus on crystallography.

The role will include some or all of the following depending on the candidate: • Develop and optimise protocols for receptor purification with a view to crystallisation
•       Develop protocols for crystallisation of novel stabilised GPCRs
• Set up crystallisation screens and optimise conditions for GPCR crystals
•       Data collection at synchrotrons (Diamond and ESRF)
•       Structure determination of protein ligand complexes

Qualifications
The successful candidate should have:
• A PhD or equivalent in biophysics, structural biology or related discipline • At least 5 years experience within a research environment either in academia or industry.
•       Experience in protein purification and crystallisation
•       Extensive skills in X-ray macromolecular crystallography
•       Analytical thinking and critical problem solving skills.
• Experience of working with membrane proteins would be an advantage as would experience of working in a drug discovery environment where structural studies are used to drive medicinal chemistry
•       Excellent time management skills and an ability to work independently.
•       An interest in G protein coupled receptors and drug discovery.
Further information can be found on our website (www.heptares.com).
Applications should be sent to i...@heptares.com.