On Aug 24, 2009, at 5:30 PM, Ethan Merritt wrote:

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but...

I'm trying to chain some ccp4 programs together via a script.
It creates temporary files with arbitrary names based on the process id.
The problem is that when I try to pass one of these files to the
next program in the chain, as in:

 tlsanl XYZIN $tempfile <<EOF
 EOF

The ccp4 libraries seem to expand this to be an input file named
 $tempfile.brk

I'm getting stuck on how literal you mean '$tempfile' to be in the above line.

Also, for every shell I know, the variable interpolation is done even before tokenization, so what you're describing seems impossible to me.

Perhaps you could post the complete input file? (With any sensitive information redacted, of course.)

James