You should be able to do this kind of scripting.

The CCP4 library will try to add an extension, iff there is not one
already. But if you have set $tempfile to "foo.pdb" then it shouldn't
add anything.

Code is in ccp4_general.c if you want to sabotage it ...

The list of default extensions is in $CCP4/include/environ.def
(but we obviously need to update .brk to .pdb)

HTH
Martyn

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 17:30 -0700, Ethan Merritt wrote:
> Not sure this is the right place to ask, but...
>
> I'm trying to chain some ccp4 programs together via a script.
> It creates temporary files with arbitrary names based on the process id.
> The problem is that when I try to pass one of these files to the
> next program in the chain, as in:
>
>    tlsanl XYZIN $tempfile <<EOF
>    EOF
>
> The ccp4 libraries seem to expand this to be an input file named
>    $tempfile.brk
>
> Is there any way to make the programs _not_ append a useless extension
> ".brk"  in a scripted environment?

*               Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*   STFC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, U.K.   *
*   Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: martyn.w...@stfc.ac.uk            *
*   Fax: +44 1925 603825    Skype name: martyn.winn                   *
*             URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/                      *