From: CCP4 bulletin board [ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Narayanan
Ramasubbu [ramas...@umdnj.edu]
Sent: 10 September 2009 01:36
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Help with improving these crystals

Dear All:
We have been struggling to improve the crystals shown in the attachment.
These crystals form from a protein solution 8 mg/mL (before drop), drop
sizes are 2 microL of protein + 2 microL of well solution (0.1 MES
buffer, pH 6.5, 1.8 M Ammonium sulfate with 12 mM CoCl2).

The protein was dissolved initially in 20 mM Tris.HCl, pH 8.0 containing
1 mM EDTA.

Low cobalt also gives smaller crystals. These diffract up to 8 A.

Any suggestions to improve these crystals would be most welcome.

Subbu

PS: We have used many additives (Hampton Research - including detergent
additives) to alter the morphology but with little success.