Hi everyone

I am new to solving crystal structures so apologies for the simple
question

I am solving a structure using molecular replacement. I have refined my
structure with refmac however the R-factor and R-free do not seem to go
down with successive rounds of refinement. The initial value was 0.49
(after 20 cycles of rigid body refinement). After analysing the output
and a further 20 cycles of refinement, the R-factor is now 0.48. I would
like to know if it is ever worthwhile to continue refining a structure
when the initial R factors are so high? If so, what could I do to
improve the refinement?

Thanks for your suggestions

Best regards

Sylvia Fanucchi Ph.D

Protein Structure-Function Research Unit
East Campus, Gate House Room 416
School of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg 2050
South Africa

Tel: +27 (11) 717-6348 Fax: +27 (11) 717-6351
E-mail: sylvia.fanuc...@wits.ac.za <mailto:sylvia.fanuc...@wits.ac.za>

is intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the
original message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without
the permission of the University. Only authorized signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in

<<image001.jpg>>