Hi Claudia

"By eye" is not a bad approximation. The trick I learnt at the JCSG (I forget the originator, sorry) is to suck up some solution in a P2 pipette tip (the clear ones), dip it in lN2, and then hold it just above the lN2 (where it's still cold) to check for clearness or not.

Is a good predictor especially if your loops are very small (volume is a big factor in whether you can achieve vitrification or not).

Cheers
phx