Checking Cryo-Conditions under the microscope can actually be very useful. Even if you have access to a X-ray beam, simple pre-tests can be very informative.

This can be done as follows:

A 24well plate cover is placed on a stereo microscope open side down, a second one on top of it the other way around. Carefully pour lN2 into it (might make a crackling noise, however the plastic should stand it). A 1 mm loop is placed on top of a 'crystal wand' tool, dipped first into the cryo buffer under investigation and then quickly into the lN2 on the microscope. Hold the loop right under the lN2 surface and focus. Vitrification of the shock-cooled buffer can now be assesed. I usually check a series with increasing concentrations of cryo-protectant to determine the critical point for successful vitrification. To the final buffer I then add a certain safety margin to avoid unpleasant surprises during the synchrotron trip, if an X-ray test is not possible.

Clemens

Zitat von Karthik S <biokart...@gmail.com>:

I have not heard of anyone checking for suitable cryo in that fashion how
fast can you do it before it is affected by room temp and how would you know
about the ice rings, but when you have crystal(s) and not crystal you can
freeze different ones in several different cryos (sugars, glycerol etc) and
take them with you to the trip. good luck!
--
Karthik

Graduate Student-Biophysics
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
karth...@umich.edu
734-763-3384

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Claudia Scotti