Dear Hugh Morgan,

this ratio is only true if you refine your atomic model without any geometrical restraints against the observed X-ray data. If you include parameters for ideal geometry, you add ideal bond lengths, angles, chiral volumes, planar groups and dihedral angles as additional "observations". Phenix.refine reports the number of geometrical restraints. When I look at the output of a 30 kDa protein and a 400 kDa protein, that I was recently refining, I get the following average number of observed geometrical restraints per atom:

1.0-1.1 bond lenghts / atom
1.4 bond angles / atom
0.15 chiral volumes / atom
0.17-0.18 planar groups / atom
0.37-0.38 dihedral angles / atom

In total, these sum up to ~3.1-3.2 observed geometrical restraints/ atom. If you add these to the ~0.5 observed X-ray amplitudes/atom (~3.6-3.7), you get a ratio observed:parameters > 1 if you refine x,y,z (3 parameters/atom), and also >1 if you refine x,y,z,B (4 parameters/atom) with B-restraints for bonded atoms (which I count as the same number of observed B-restraints as observed bond lengths). If you refine instead x,y,z,grouped B-factors with 1 group per residue, you get with 7.6-8.0 atoms per residue, approximately 0.12-0.13 parameters per atom, so 3.12-3.13 parameters/atom, and your ratio observed:parameters is also >1.

I hope, this helps a little bit arguing with the referee.

Best regards,

Dirk.