I  must agree that the less stressed part of a needle may be the end not
contacting the loop or meniscus, but protrudes out the end/top.  One can
carefully manipulate the crystal so that it is not parallel with the pin either
by having a bent loop or setting the crystal slightly diagonal to the loop.  If
it is held out long enough, then only that part is in the beam with no
background from the loop or mother liquor.  In fact, I have seen where the
meniscus was the problem as it "curved" the crystal in question....the part
overhanging the loop diffracting quite nicely.

Additionally, small molecule people will regularly use a small dab of grease (I
prefer Apiezon N) on a loop or fiber to adhere the crystal and remove it from
the batch...then freeze it.  The advantage is simplicity, and one can remove a
crystal from virtually all mother liquor.  The disadvantages are it a bare
crystal free from all liquor (must be frozen ASAP before it dehydrates) and
depending on your skill and luck sometimes one gets more than one crystal.

Finally, if there is a worry about dehydration, a tip is to move the crystal
from the crystallization drop to oil increasing time for manipulation.  (Again,
my preference is PFPE).

Kris

PS  For a thin layer of grease, try disolving the grease in a volatile solvent,
dipping the loop or fiber in the solution, and let "dry".