From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Dima Klenchin
Sent: Thu 10/8/2009 3:54 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] mammalian cell culture on IMAC

>When mammalian cell culture is being loaded to GE HisTrap resin Ni ions
>are being stripped off the resin, at least in my hands. Did any of you
>have similar experience and if so what kind of work-around was found?
>Volume is fairly large (3L) and concentration/dialysis have proven to
>cause loss of desired protein.
>Please share your positive experience.

I get this with insect cell lysates. The solution: load onto ion exchanger
first - not for purification but to get rid of whatever strips Ni2+. Crude
wash with 50 mM salt (or as high as your protein allows) followed by step
elution with 0.5M salt (very few proteins do not elute at 0.5M) --> load
directly onto Ni-NTA. Solves the stripping problem 100%. (If you use step
elution, make sure to NOT use weak exchangers or you will have pH shift of
2-3 units). If the protein binds to cation-exchangers at pH >7, even such a
crude step results in significant purification in itself. If, for some
reason, ion exchangers are not an option, load onto hydroxyapatite and
elute with phosphate. The downside to HA is that it has a lot less capacity
than ion-exchangers and that it needs frequent repacking.

Good luck,

Dima

To the extent this electronic communication or any of its attachments contain
information that is not in the public domain, such information is considered by
MedImmune to be confidential and proprietary.  This communication is expected
to be read and/or used only by the individual(s) for whom it is intended.  If
you have received this electronic communication in error, please reply to the
sender advising of the error in transmission and delete the original message
and any accompanying documents from your system immediately, without copying,
reviewing or otherwise using them for any purpose.  Thank you for your
cooperation.