> > My resolution is 1.6A although I have cut it to 1.8A to bring the
> > R-factor down. I've been performing restrained refinement in refmac5
> > using the default settings. The solvent content is 40%

This sounds fundamentally wrong.  Even the "Rmerge reduction by cutting
resolution" practice is questionable due to strong dependence of the
Rmerge on redundancy, but to cut resolution to get better Rfactor in
refinement...  Nobody throws away the lower concentration (and thus
noisier) data in Bradford assay, although I am sure that the appropriate
"R-factor" would definitely go down.