Umar,

Check out: Czepas et al. The impact of Lys-->Arg surface mutations on the crystallization of of the globular domain of RhoGDI, Acta D (2004) 60 275-280. They point out that sulfate ions can help mediate contacts between arginine residues from neighboring molecules in the crystal.

You may have already considered the surface entropy server (http://nihserver.mbi.ucla.edu/SER/) to help identify any specific stretches of amino acids that could be mutated to reduce entropy and possibly promote crystallization. Maybe there are a couple regions of your sequence that are flagged as particularly unfavorable in terms of their predicted entropy contribution. There is evidence that lysine is more of a problem in this respect as compared to arginine (Derewenda et al. Acta D (2006) 62 116-124).

Good luck,
-Andy

Andrew T. Torelli Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology
Baker Laboratory, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853