Hi there,

2 things:

Are you sure that the relative orientations of your components are the same in
the different crystal forms? If you haven't done it already, it would be worth
while trying to search for the individual components as well (could be
difficult because your components are not so large), or do something similar to
"Patterson correlation refinement" that was introduced in X-PLOR many years ago
(and which probably sits in CNS too). The idea there is to adjust the
orientation of the components, before carrying out the translation search. Last
time I have used this was at the time of X-PLOR so that I would not know how to
do it in CNS.

Also, even though Phaser is a very good program, it might be worth it to run
the molecular replacement search using AMoRe too, that will give a very
comprehensive search (doing the translation search over many many rotation
function peaks) rapidly. I personally prefer Jorge Navaza's stand alone version
of AMoRe (perhaps because Jorge sits in the office next to mine so that my
opinions are biased).

> I am a beginner to crystallography and therefore my apologies if this
> question is too
> simple.

No question's too simple for ccp4bb. Macromolecular crystallography is not as
simple as some people think. Or would want others to think.

Ciao,

Fred.