Phoebe,

my understanding is that power of UV illumination here is not in
salt-vs-protein test (which, imho, can only be finalized by testing
diffraction) but in improved contrast for protein crystal detection.  I
haven't used UV microscopes myself, but images provided by manufacturers
are quite impressive
http://www.rigaku.com/images/automation/uv-before.jpg
http://www.rigaku.com/images/automation/uv-after.jpg

Of course, these images are advertisement and may be exaggerated.

On the salt/protein issue, I wholeheartedly agree.

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore