You could assay some of the suggestions involving small molecules etc.
quickly by using the Tm shift assay, if you had the equipment handy?

Analytical Biochemistry
Volume 357, Issue 2, 15 October 2006, Pages 289-298
Thermofluor-based high-throughput stability optimization of proteins
for structural studies
Ulrika B. Ericssona, B. Martin Hallberga, b, George T. DeTittac, Niek
Dekkerd and Pär Nordlunda,

Does your enzyme have any known cofactors, metals etc. which you know
bind?  Stick some of them in during purification to see if they can
stabilise your protein.

A more simple suggestion, I tried this recently with some success,
essentially sticking 0.2M Arg / 0.2M Glu in the buffer. I had no
glycerol in there.

J Am Chem Soc. 2004 Jul 28;126(29):8933-9.
A simple method for improving protein solubility and long-term
stability.
Golovanov AP, Hautbergue GM, Wilson SA, Lian LY.

Just as a related aside..... the MCSG (I think) just presented a poster
at the Keystone symposia on structural genomics where they
systematically tested a selection of their targets, showing how glycerol
was absolutely required in some cases, but in other cases absolutely
guaranteed failure, with yet other examples not being bothered whether
it was present or not.  The reaction from some to this poster was
interesting with one grad student in particular remarking "My PI would
kill me if she saw me making a buffer without glycerol!".

cheers,

charlie

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM, SERAH KIMANI
<serah.kim...@uct.ac.za>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Does anyone have an idea of something else that I can use instead
glycerol
> to maintain solubility of my protein? I have been having 10% glycerol
in my
> protein solution and this has helped me get crystals in like three
different
> conditions. However, I would want to get crystals of
mutants-substrate