Paul,

couple things come to mind:

 -make sure your substrate is actually a binder and not an (unspecific)
inhibitor (ITC, Thermofluor, Biacore)
 -soak longer and at higher concentration. (3mM concentration from 100mM
stock in DMSO for a week or more)
 -Is there evidence that your protein needs to undergo substantial
rearrangement prohibited by the crystal
  packing? Then you may be out of luck with soaking, try
co-crystallization.

The folks from GSK had a nice paper about some useful techniques for
ligand incorporation probably a worthwhile read: Acta Cryst. (2007).
D63, 72-79  (doi:10.1107/S0907444906047020)

HTH

        Carsten