It is also possible that mother liquor prevents binding (although often
in such cases you would see some precipitant component in the active
site.

I would generally bet on need for conformational change.  And you expect
to see the product complex, right?

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore