I agree to this.
What are the actual reasons against attachments?
If one really has a slow network connection and cannot use IMAP instead of POP3
(if I understand correctly, with IMAP one does not need to download the emails
until one actually wants to read them, but I may be wrong here, too), would it
be a compromise to restrict image sizes to e.g. 500kB?