I assume you're sure you even *need* to scale up? Most of our structures come from crystals from "small" (150-300nl) drops, we consider a 100um crystal already "huge". And if a smaller crystal doesn't diffract far enough on a modern beamline, chances are a large one won't either (quite apart from the trouble you'll have cryo-protecting it).

(And yes, of course there *are* a few cases where larger = better.)

phx