From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Florian Schmitzberger
Sent: Fri 9/3/2010 9:34 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Problem with NCS detection in Parrot

Dear All,

I am encountering a problem when using Parrot (for combined density
modification and non crystallographic symmetry (NCS) averaging) in
ccp4 6.1.13, run via ccp4i.

Parrot does not detect the (2-fold) NCS present among my heavy atom
substructure with 20 seleniums (the pdb was output by Phaser-EP,
single chain ID, and is read by Parrot from what I can tell). I have
tried a to split the NCS related heavy atoms into separate chains, but
Parrot does still not appear to detect any NCS (error message:
WARNING: No NCS found from heavy atoms).

The Professs program seems to detect the NCS readily. Unfortunately, I
don't think it is possible to input externally determined NCS
operators into Parrot.

Regards,

Florian

Florian Schmitzberger
Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
Harvard Medical School
250 Longwood Avenue, SGM 130
Boston, MA 02115, US
Tel: 001 617 432 5602