Hi Ethan,

yes, you are absolutely right, you would need to define somehow where your model is... But you could, at least hypothetically, use non-atomic models for this! Like cylinders (*), spheres and similar shapes. This is what the density looks like at those "super-low" resolutions.

(*)
BOROVIKOV, B. A., VAINSTEIN, B. K., GELFAND, I. M. & KALININ, D. I. (1979). Kristallografiya, 24, 227-238.

KALININ, D. I. (1980). Kristallografiya, 25, 535-544.

V. Yu. Lunin, A. G. Urzhumtsev, E. A. Vernoslova, Yu. N. Chirgadze, N. A. Neveskaya and N. P. Fomenkova. Acta Cryst. (1985). A41, 166-171.

Anyway, looks like we are about to diverge from the original subject so I stop rambling -:)

All the best!
Pavel.